“If courage is contagious, ignorance is pandemic” – Unknown
So this is what the apocalypse looks like: empty streets, empty shelves, empty conversations. All I hear is corona this and corona that, increasing people’s fears for this invisible fiend or the contrary – my mother, for instance, is convinced it’s all a storm in a teacup.
Last Saturday I went jogging and I found myself either alone in an otherwise busy place or with people avoiding one another. One man walking his dog even crossed the street the moment he saw me heading towards him. Are we collectively losing our minds or are we being careful?
My country is on lock-down, as most other nations are, too. This is day 3 of the National Quarantine.
These are the rules:
- Stay at home if you show signs of a cold or the flu
- Do not go somewhere unless you really need to
- Work from home if possible
- Businesses and schools are closed
- Don’t meet up with friends or go on outings
- All events with more than 100 people are cancelled or forbidden
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow (just don’t forget not to cross your arms afterwards)
- Wash your hands after pretty much everything you do and do so for at least 20 seconds
- Don’t hamster food (which is the Dutch verb for hoarding, but I like the sound of it so there you go! You just learned some Dutch!)
- Don’t visit people who are more at risk, such as elderly people or people already sick
My Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday clients cancelled due to colds or fevers. This morning, I started coughing and had a sneeze-session of 6 in a row (a new record), so I cancelled my Thursday and Friday clients as well. I don’t think I have corona, but I don’t want to risk getting anyone sick if I have. Considering most of my clients are 70 or above… I pass.
I am scared, yet fascinated. As my cousin said it: “This, by far, is the most bizarre thing I’ve ever witnessed in my entire life.” I feel like we’re all in this together, but at the same time handling it differently. This virus is connecting everyone in the World, as we’re all dealing with the same “enemy”, yet it divides us because we’re scared to catch it off one another.
I just feel like posing a few questions here to raise awareness, keep each other hopeful and maybe even laugh a little.
- What is your country’s take on COVID-19?
- What’s been happening where you live?
- How do you deal with it?
- How does corona affect your life and the lives of those around you?
- How do you think all of this will turn out?
Anything you want to get off your chest corona-wise? Let me know in the comments ↓↓↓ Let’s discuss this. It’s not like we’ve got anything better to do, what with all the lock-downs and all… 😉
Please stay healthy and positive, everyone ❤ ❤